Re: Freud, Marx and Darwin

mortongr@flash.net
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 20:08:37 +0000

At 01:36 PM 11/16/1999 EST, Bertvan@aol.com wrote:
> Psychiatrists, on the other hand have found no treatment which can "cure"
>anything, and in their search for solutions, they are free to try anything.
>People recover, but mostly by their own efforts. (Best of luck to you, by
>the way.) Psychiatrists can, and do, destroy parts of people's brains
>with surgery and drugs, even after studies have been done showing the harm
>of such treatments.

While it is true that shrinks can do much harm (like lots of other people),
I will tell you that I gained a great deal of respect for them when my
youngest son became suicidal at age 16. We had to hospitalize him for his
own safety and our peace of mind. He went in as a kid full of hate, anger
and self-pity. He came out six weeks later much better. Although he still
had problems, we never again had problems with that. After years of being
involved with drugs over the past year he has undergone a remarkable
change--he has begun to believe the faith that we taught him. His story is
published today in the Texas A&M's Battalion (the school newspaper) at the
same time as it covers the tragedy there.

While you may denigrate shrinks, as I did, someday when you need one to
save your son's life, you may find that they are better than you think!

Now please quite sterotyping people like you do. It is unbecoming.
glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood
Adam, Apes and Anthropology
http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm