Re: Comparing Evolution to Design Theory #1

MikeBGene@aol.com
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 21:17:17 EST

In a message dated 11/17/99 1:56:56 PM Dateline Standard Time,
susan-brassfield@ou.edu writes:

<< Evolution is a change in gene frequency in a population over time. During
the last century this has been documented to occur hundreds, if not
thousands of times.

Please provide a definition as concise as the one above for "Theory of
Creation" or "Theory of Intelligent Design." And provide documented
observations which verify the theories. And please do so without quoting
anyone out of context.>>

Hmm. Since we can have changes in gene frequencies in a population
over time without any morphological change, clearly this definition of
evolution is inadequate. Put simply, a change in gene frequency may
be a necessary condition for morphological or biochemical evolution,
but it is not sufficient.

>CC>[D] The designer did it.

Steve:

>Strictly speaking this should be "*An* Intelligent Designer" did it.

Susan:

>considering how badly designed most organisms are (why are *we* the Crown of
>Creation, the only mammal that can't swallow and breathe at the same time?)
>the Designer was probably Stupid.

Perhaps Susan can fill us in on her experience with designing organisms.
Surely she must have lots of experience to pass such an informed judgment.
If we could study the things she has designed, perhaps we can be sure
that her label of the Designer as "Stupid" is something more than the
swaggering Monday morning quarterbacking that is common in many
offices. Then again, maybe the "Crown of Creation" is supposed to
be able to run 70 mph, have both sonar and radar capabilities, be able
to fly, remain under water for hours, etc (i.e., like something out of
a comic book). But Susan's understanding of basic Christian theology
has never been impressive in the first place.

Mike