Re: Freud Marx and Darwin

Susan Brassfield (Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu)
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 16:41:49 -0600

Bertvan wrote:
>I'm a little surprised at all this defense of psychiatry by Darwinists, but I
>suppose it is actually "defense of orthodoxy. Anything in the "peer
>reviewed" literature is not to be questioned, and anything else is not to be
>considered, right?

You said that psychiatry does not *ever* submit its techniques or ideas to
scientific testing. You said a false thing that was easy to disprove in a
public place in front of people who have no particular reason to allow such
an untruth to go by unchallenged. And if a scientific hypothesis can't
withstand the critique of *equals* (not just the sniping of anybody who
doesn't like it) then such a hypothesis isn't worth anything. Creation
science and intelligent design are two such worthless hypotheses (just
though I should throw a sop to the moderator).

>I brought up psychiatry because I believe it is part of
>the same materialistic philosophy as Darwinism. "Life is a complex machine,
>composed of matter, and powered by a computer-like mechanism called a brain."

there is no mental health professional that I have ever met or read the
writings of that actually thinks that. This is your false characterization
of a profession that you have private reasons to hate.

>Did you know about Freud's scientific discovery of a direct connection
>between a woman's nose and her womb. He made this discovery by successfully
>treating menstrual cramps by applying cocaine to a woman's nose. He operated
>upon women's noses to cure hysteria, thought to take place in the womb.
>Do you suppose that little bit of information appeared in the "peer reviewed"
>literature?

as Kevin pointed out, it *did* make it into the peer reviewed literature.
It did not withstand the critique. Doctors used to try to cure patients
with leeches. Now they use antibiotics. Live and learn. NOT learning is the
sin and the crime.

>(So far no cures have been suggested for Ritalin,
>Prozac and anti-psychotic drug addiction.)

those drugs are for things that cannot be cured but only managed. I suppose
it would be *much* better for someone with schitzophrenia to be locked up
in a mental hospital "drug free" instead of taking a nasty drug that
doesn't cure them but lets them live a somewhat normal life.

>Seems someone should have noticed they were turning people into zombies after
>just a couple, if anyone were paying attention. Instead we trust the expert!

better trust the expert than be consigned to *your* tender mercies!!!

Susan

For if there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing
of life as in hoping for another and in eluding the implacable grandeur of
this one.
--Albert Camus

http://www.telepath.com/susanb/