Re: true things about evolution

mortongr@flash.net
Sun, 14 Nov 1999 16:32:09 +0000

At 10:18 PM 11/13/1999 -0600, Susan B wrote:
>I don't think huxter saying that the list of people above has a body of
>evidence which has persuaded them to become anti-Darwinian. I think huxter
>is saying that these people have a pre-existing anti-Darwinian view and only
>collect negative evidence, discarding anything else.

Unfortunately, and to my lasting shame, when I was a YEC I did the very
thing that Susan suggests. And having been an insider with many of their
leaders, I know that they were even better at filtering the bad data than
I. (If I had been really good at filtering, I might still be a YEC). In my
discussions with the likes of Gish, Austin, Slusher, Barnes, Whitelaw,
Chaffin, Howe etc, never was there ever a discussion that could be
entitled, "Here is a problem we have and how are we going to solve it?"
There was always scoffing and guffawing about the percieved weaknesses of
the evolutionary paradigm but no discussion of YEC weaknesses. This leads
to a mental state in which one thinks that there is no way he/she can be
wrong and from which it is viewed as inexplicable why the evolutionist
would still be an evolutionist.
glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood
Adam, Apes and Anthropology