Re: Complexity of life

mortongr@flash.net
Tue, 09 Nov 1999 05:37:38 +0000

At 12:24 AM 11/09/1999 -0800, Cliff Lundberg wrote:
I didn't say "before the explosion", I said "were formed early". The
>list you presented gave mostly paleozoic examples. And even these,
>it might be argued, could have existed as rare forms in earlier times.

Sure they might have existed as rare forms. And statistically they did
exist prior to the first fossil example without a doubt. In general it is
believed that groups exist about 1/3 earlier than the first fossil example.
A 100 myr old creature probably had rare examples 133 myr ago. However, to
push them back too far, say fromthe Cretaceous to the Cambrian would strain
credibility.

>One has to accept that evolution was qualitatively different in that
>formative period. Subsequent evolution is highly constrained, far
>different from the creativity of the Cambrian explosion.

The most reasonable assumption I have heard for the Cambrian is the
possibility that this was when the HOX genes were invented.
glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood
Adam, Apes and Anthropology
http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm