FW: Web Posting of Peppered Moth Review Paper

Don Frack (dcfrack@sowest.net)
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 17:42:39 -0700

A few months ago, I posted observations on the peppered moth issue started
by Jerry Coyne's review of Michael Majerus's book on melanism. This lead to
an unexpected confrontation with Jonathan Wells of the Discovery Institute.
During those proceedings, I was in contact with Michael Majerus, the author
of the book reviewed by Coyne. I reported that Coyne's review did not
represent Majerus's views. Unknown to all of you (well, almost all), I was
also in communication with Jerry Coyne. Coincidentally, I contacted the U.
S. expert on peppered moths, Bruce Grant, initially to get the e-mail
address of another researcher in England. This lead to a lengthy
correspondence on peppered moths and Wells. One of the definite pluses of
the Wells exchange is that I now hear periodically from Grant on his
research. Grant is connected to both Coyne and Wells in surprising ways
(which I am obliged to keep mostly private). Grant was VERY clear that he
didn't like Coyne's report on the status of peppered moth research (and told
Coyne so in no uncertain terms), which lead to Coyne offering to let Grant
write another review in the journal _Evolution_ (Coyne is book review
editor). I've had the manuscript of this review for some time, and it has
finally appeared in _Evolution_. I encouraged Grant to post a web version,
offering to get it put on a well-recognized site. He has just sent me the
attached message, announcing that it is on his site. If you want a succinct
summary of the status of peppered moth research by an actual researcher in
the field (Coyne is not), download the PDF file noted below.

Don Frack
dcfrack@sowest.net