Re: Two more gaps in the fossil record

Jonathan Clarke (jdac@alphalink.com.au)
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 09:05:39 +1000

Hi Glenn

A terminology question here. What is meant by "hollow bones"? Many bones have a
central cavity, filled in life by marrow. All bones also are porous. What
distinguishes the follow bones of birds from these? I recall reading somewhere
that the hollowed bones of birds contain air sacs. This was supposedly to aid
high respiration rates. Is this correct for all hollow bones in birds? If true,
is a different adaptation to aerial life than simply reduction in weight, a
feature found in other flying vertebrates like bats and pterosaurs. Did these
taxa also have how bones in the same sense as birds?

God Bless

Jonathan