Re: Behe Review (yet another)

Terry M. Gray (grayt@lamar.colostate.edu)
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 09:40:47 -0600

David's suggestions are very much in line with my comments in my original
review of Behe from 1994. Indeed I am a "theistic evolutionist" who sees
"the necessity for emphasising self-organisation and emergent phenomenon in
order to realise God's design conceptualisation". While this puts me
outside the neo-Darwinian camp, technically speaking, modern Darwinism has
welcomed this school (except for a few hard-nose guys like Richard Dawkins
(but he is softening up a bit, it appears) In the same way, technically,
S.J. Gould and Stuart Kaufman are outside the neo-Darwinian camp. We
Christians are arguing straw-men when we use such strict definition of
Darwinism that fails to allow for these kinds of mechanisms to work hand in
hand with traiditonal mutation/selection.

See http://asa.calvin.edu/evolution/irred_compl.html if you haven't read it
yet. Since Weber picks up many of the themes that I originally pointed out
(he even refers to it once), I am very pleased with his review and believe
that Christians who sympathize with Behe should read it very carefully.

TG

Fort Collins, Colorado 80523
grayt@lamar.colostate.edu http://www.chm.colostate.edu/~grayt/
phone: 970-491-7003 fax: 970-491-1801