Re: Evolution and ASA lists and noise

Gary Collins (gary.collins@etl.ericsson.se)
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 15:37:10 +0100

"Stephen E. Jones" wrote:

> Reflectorites

[...]

> I agree with this. How about we *all*:
>
> 1. Limit ourselves to no more than *two* posts a day? (This is not hypocritical.
> - I would *love* to have an exuse not to have to respond to the many posts
> that are usually addressed to me);
>
> 2. How about those who post many brief posts a session (no names no pack
> drill!) post less frequent but longer, more informative posts?
>
> 3. How about there be more posting of informational articles and less debate?
> If there is to be debate let there be one response and then shift the debate
> off-List direct between those interested?
>
> 4. How about the posts be addressed to the Reflector rather than to indiduals
> (sort of like addressing the Chair at a meeting to cut down too-personal
> arguments)?
>
> 5. And how about not putting unnecessary cc.'s to others who are already on the
> list? In 4 years I have never received a cc. sent without also receiving the
> main copy sent to the List.
>
> If there is anyone who agrees with me on these points could you indicate
> it publicly so we could try to make it a voluntary code of conduct for the
> List? I hope Terry Gray has a filter on his name and reads this for
> comment as to its feasibility.

Steve,

I don't agree with point (3); I thought debate was what the lists were all about.
I welcome information, as it saves a lot of time and effort on my part; but I could

if I wanted go and dig up all the information for myself. What I like to hear on
the
list is other people's interpretation and opinions of such information, and to
benefit
from their insight and experience. This would be a lot harder to come by apart from

the lists. Some of the lengthy debates I have found quite fascinating. Some,
I agree,
are tiresome (or eventually become so); but there is nothing to stop me ignoring a
thread if I do not find it interesting. It is possible to delete e-mails without
reading
them; it is also possible to set up filters to direct unwanted posts to trash.

I agree with point (2); posts which add nothing substantial to a discussion are
quite
tiresome and a waste of everybody's time.

As for point (5), I find that if I select 'reply all' then the post usually gets
sent to the
originator, cc the list and cc separately to other participants in the thread.
I had to
alter this one quite a bit to get it sent to the list only. I'm not sure if this is
something
that can be addressed by making changes to the way in which the list is set up
(I think
someone has suggested this) or if it's something in the netscape reader I'm using.
I agree that this, too, can be frustrating.

/Gary