Re: Spetner and Shannon

Arthur V. Chadwick (chadwicka@swau.edu)
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 10:24:30 -0700

At 10:22 AM 09/16/1999 -0500, Wesley wrote:

>Shannon's specialty is information theory. His information
>measure, negentropy, is as in the following equation:
>
> H = - k * sum_i ( p_i * log_2( p_i ) )
>
>Could Art please post Spetner's information measure equation
>so that we can compare the two?

We are comparing a popular book, written for interested laypersons with a
scientific publication.
Are you suggesting that Spetner is ignorant of Shannon, or are you
suggesting that the only way things matter is if they are expressed as
mathematical equations? Intelligent people (mathematicians aside) can
express complex and subtle ideas in simple terms. Show me Shannon's ideas
expressed in another popular book (I hasven't seen that one) and then we
can compare apples with apples.
Art
http://geology.swau.edu