Re: Purpose in nature

mortongr@flash.net
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 19:48:37 +0000

At 07:30 AM 7/23/99 -0400, Marcio Pie wrote:
>Interesting idea. However, current understanding of speciation processes
>suggests that the most common speciation process (allopatric) involves
>geographical separation of ancestral populations + differences in
>selective environment between those populations. Genetic drift may help,
>but is not necessary. If that is true, the forces generating species
>formation are *outside* the influence of the genome. How to reconcile this
>with your scenario?

First, I was dealing with the mathematically and physically real sequences
space. This is a valid mathematical way to view sequences like DNA. The
scenario I proposed is not incompatible with selection. Consider this. The
DNA phase space (which is merely a way of arranging or plotting the DNA of
an entire population rather than a single individual) is multiply
connected. Humans have a 3.5 billion dimensional phases space. This means
that you can move in 3.5 billion different right-angle directions in such a
space. Say selection pushes the genome in the 2.5 billionth direction and
there is a path to a new species cavern region along that dimension, then
the cloud of population points will be taken in that direction totally
consistent with selection. (I prefer to call the regions of viability
caverns) and the regions in which the DNA sequence causes death as cavern
walls.) If there isn't a path to a new species cavern in that direction
and the selection is strong enough the species might go extinct.

Now, due to certain limitations of population genetics, it is difficult for
a large population to travel down the small tunnel to the new cavern. Most
members of a population cloud are not near the tunnel and due to population
genetics their numerical superiority keep most of the offspring far from
the tunnel also. This is why it is hard for a large population which
interbreeds to travel down the tunnel to a new life form.

glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood
Adam, Apes and Anthropology
http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm