Re: `Neo-Darwinism in deep trouble': Letter to the Editor,

Susan B (susan-brassfield@ou.edu)
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 19:40:10 -0500 (CDT)

Stephen Jones wrote in the Waterloo Times:

>Lex Bastian's claim (Community May 25) that "evolution is [not]...in any
>way incompatible with the Christian faith", is misleading, because he uses
>the word "evolution" in a way that is not used by mainstream science
>today.
>
>Mr Bastian uses "evolution" in the sense of God-sustaining, but Neo-
>Darwinism, which is the version of evolution taught in public schools
>today, claims to be self-sustaining.

Mr Bastian had written:
>It is standard Christian doctrine that God is not only the creator, but also
>the sustainer of the universe.

you misquoted a man who had been printed publicly only a few days before you
did it! That takes amazing nerve.

Mr. Bastian believes (along with a very large number of Christians) that God
created the universe and he created it to evolve. I doubt many are left who
care what Huxley thought :-)

Susan
--------
Life is short, but it is also very wide.
http://www.telepath.com/susanb