Re: you never see a partial wing (was Cambrian Explosion)

Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Sun, 18 Jul 1999 21:26:31 +0800

Reflectorites

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999 21:32:55 +0000, mortongr@flash.net wrote:

[...]

>SJ>But Glenn is right that "neither will a 100" examples satisfy me.

Glenn neatly chopped off what immediately followed which explained
*why* I would not be satisfied with a mere 100 examples:

>But the problem is not with me, the problem is with Glenn's claim. After
>all 100 out of 250,000 fossil species is only *0.04%* of the total number
>of fossil species.

But that's OK. It tells me that when Glenn has to resort to such cheap
tricks, he is tacitly admitting has lost the debate!

GM>Then discussion with you is truly a meaningless exercise in futility.

On the contrary. It is *meaningful* in that it shows that Glenn could not
sustain his argument that Longsisquama is an example of a reptile's scale
turning into a bird's feather!

It is also *meaningful* in that it showed that when one checks up on
Glenn's references and finds some of them wrong or misleading, Glenn does
not always live up to the same high standards he enjoins on other Christian
apologists, and admit he was wrong and re-issue the list minus the errors.

GM>After so many years I should have known better.

Glenn writes as if this `shoot the messenger' response by him to my
questioning of his assertions is something unusual. In my experience from
debating Glenn for the best part of the last 4 years, it is *perfectly
normal* for Glenn to respond in this ad hominem fashion when he gets the
worst of a debate, and I am not surprised by it at all!

Indeed such `over-the-top' responses by Glenn are further evidence of my
thesis that evolution has an adverse effect on those Christians who believe
it, because of the inherent tensions of trying to serve two opposing masters
(Mat 6:24), as Johnson has pointed out:

"I do not think that the mind can serve two masters, and I am confident
that whenever the attempt is made, naturalism in the end will be the true
master and theism will have to abide by its dictates." (Johnson P.E.,
"Darwin on Trial", 1993, pp169-170).

So if Glenn wants to keep helping to confirming my above thesis, all he
needs to do is keep responding the same way!

Stephen E. (Steve) Jones ,--_|\ sejones@iinet.net.au
3 Hawker Avenue / Oz \ senojes@hotmail.com
Warwick 6024 ->*_,--\_/ Phone +61 8 9448 7439
Perth, West Australia v "Test everything." (1Thess 5:21)