RE: "Scientific" position on philosophical questions

John E. Rylander (rylander@prolexia.com)
Sat, 10 Jul 1999 16:35:55 -0500

Kevin,

As you well know if you've been following my former discussion with Steve, I
applaud your making the point about methodological versus metaphysical
commitments. :^> It's so important, and so misunderstood. Thanks.

One caveat, though: the standard interpretation of physics does dispense
with determinism, unless one means (a) probabilistic determinism, or
similarly (b) determinism wrt quantum states (versus classical states).

Or do you accept a deterministic interpretation of quantum theory? That's
unusual, but fair enough.

John