Re: Cambrian Explosion

mortongr@flash.net
Fri, 09 Jul 1999 21:06:16 +0000

At 02:21 AM 7/9/99 -0700, Cliff Lundberg wrote:
>mortongr@flash.net wrote:
>
>>>No way. We have to go beyond the fossils to attempt to understand the
>>>Cambrian Explosion and many other things.
>>
>>How far beyond? be specific for petes' sake. You keep saying things like
>>this but then never detailing what you have in mind. Are we talking about
>>molecular data or speaking with spirits? Both are beyond the fossils. One
>>is useful the other isn't.
>
>I don't see gradual evolution as the mechanism for the CE. I don't see the
>fossils depicting how it happened, not in any direct way. Therefore there is
>room for theorizing about processes. If we had a time machine, observation
>would be enough.

This probably puts us at an end here. I agree that theorizing is what must
be done, but that is not theorizing in vacuum. Data and observational data
MUST play a role in that theorizing. If it doesn't then it isnt'
theorizing, but speculation.

glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood
Adam, Apes and Anthropology