Re: "Scientific" position on philosophical questions

mortongr@flash.net
Thu, 08 Jul 1999 19:57:09 +0000

At 05:25 PM 7/8/99 EDT, Bertvan@aol.com wrote:

>Hi Pim,
>
>Are you saying you are a devout theist who believes "God" used "random
>mutation and natural selection" to create nature's diversity? Are you
>committed to any particular brand of theism? Christianity, Baptist, Greek
>Orthodox, Moslem, etc.,? I have no objections to, or arguments against,
>anyone's philosophical beliefs. I'm merely curious, and would like to
>understand more about your religion. I hadn't before met anyone
passionately
>defending "random mutation and natural selection" who wasn't an atheist, and
>am truly eager to understand such a viewpoint.

Obviously you don't get out about town very much. Like Pim, I too am a
theist. I am a conservative Christian who goes to a very conservative
church, but I believe that God used random mutations to evolve us. There is
an entire mathematical field called nonlinear dynamics in which chance and
determinism are inextricably mixed. Before you say something is impossible
you should study this field a bit.

see my web page
http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/nonlin.htm
glenn