Cambrian Explosion

Cliff Lundberg (cliff@noe.com)
Fri, 02 Jul 1999 09:06:04 -0700

Susan Brassfield wrote:

>actually, modern biologists have a lot more evidence available than Darwin
>did in his day and the evidence has proved him right.

You mean, new evidence has shown that the Cambrian phyla developed
gradually? There was never doubt that new species appeared throughout
the Cambrian, but the problem is that they all appear fully developed. The
rapid origin of the basic body plans is a mystery, why not enjoy it? Why
assume it happened gradually, when the evidence does not support this?

Since that creative period, zero new basic body plans have evolved. This
implies that a qualititatively different kind of evolution triggered the
Cambrian
explosion.

>The UCSB website is creationist propaganda.

As I was the first to point out, but so what? The topic was 'Cambrian
Explosion,
yes or not really?', a scientific question.

The YEC mentality is a marvel to me, but I take from it the lesson that we're
capable of over-applying a general idea that is dear to us.

Cliff Lundberg ~ San Francisco ~ cliff@noe.com