Re: What a star!

Marcio Pie (pie@bu.edu)
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 20:58:26 -0400 (EDT)

Hello Steve;

Let me first point out that I would be the first person to be very happy
if the sorts of things that Gonzales advocates really give support to the
idea that our sun is unique.

However, it seems to me that the sorts of evidence that he provides are
not very convincing:

(1) All the evidence are provided ad hoc, and not through a
hypothetical-deductive method. Probably he could find features that make
Andromeda look like a very unique star too. All he has to do is to
disregard all the features that Andromeda has in common with other stars
and consider them unimportant. (this is a procedure similar to the one
used by some people to find "hidden codes" in the bible)

(2) It is not clear to me how those features that he presented as evidence
of the uniqueness of the sun actually affect the probability of the
evolution of life. On the contrary, it seems to me that all of them occur
in a much larger time scale.

(3) My last point has to do with the anthropic principle. Isn't it curious
that the anthropic principle is used as one of the most strong arguments
for the existence of God by christian cosmologists BUT not by christian
evolutionists? It looks like, once we get to biological evolution,
contingency takes over, and a mechanism that appeared to be deterministic
now is driven by chance? Does God now change the probability of events in
our favor?

Marcio

Marcio R. Pie
Department of Biology