Re: Cambrian Explosion

Susan Brassfield (susan-brassfield@ou.edu)
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 14:27:48 -0600

Cliff Lundberg wrote:
>The emphasis on Behe and ID on the other pages seems pretty
>creationistic. But the quotes are good.

The quotes are NOT good.

the pictures and quotes are nearly identical with those found on the Access
Research Network website which is unabashedly creationist.
http://www.arn.org/

the point of the pictures and quotes is to make it seem--to someone who
doesn't know much about earth's history--as if the Cambrian was the
creation event. The effect is that of someone taking a close-up snapshot of
a tree that only shows the trunk and a a branch or two and saying "See? and
they said it has roots and branches!"

This little quote is at the top of the UCSB website. Notice those two sets
of elipses? Wonder what's been deleted?

"I cannot doubt that all the Silurian trilobites have descended
from some one crustacean, which must have lived long before the
Silurian age....Consequently, if my theory be true, it is
indisputable that before the lowest Silurian strata was deposited,
long periods elapsed, as long as, or probably longer than, the
whole interval from the Silurian to the present day.....The case
must at present remain inexplicable; and may be truely urged as
a valid argument against the views here entertained'

The Origin of Species, 1859, pp. 313 - 314

for the entire text go to:
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/origin/chapter9.html

the passage above was the product of some fancy snipping, and in effect,
makes Darwin seem to be saying something that he is most certainly not. For
example:

"Consequently, if my theory be true, it is indisputable that before the lowest
Silurian stratum was deposited, long periods elapsed, as long as, or probably
far longer than, the whole interval from the Silurian age to the present day;
and that during these vast, yet quite unknown, periods of time, the world
swarmed with living creatures. "

He was, of course, correct. The tree has roots.

Susan

"Life itself is the proper binge."
--Julia Child

http://www.telepath.com/susanb/