Re: Neo Darwinism

Cliff Lundberg (cliff@noe.com)
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 11:31:16 -0700

Bertvan@aol.com wrote:

>My personal definition is macro evolution involves mutations leading to the
>addition of new organs, systems or body parts, whereas micro evolution is the
>shuffling of traits already contained in the gene pool.
>No uncontested mutations of macro evolution have been observed.

Have you considered siamese-twinning? This is certainly a dramatic mutation,
creating an organism with more parts, but it is simply the result of a
truncated
process of development, such that multiple embryos fail to differentiate fully.

Here you have a mechanism that takes you from single to multiple cells.
Of course this assumes that the mutation is heritable, but why not?

On the higher level of gross metazoan anatomy, this mechanism can
explain segmentation, repetition, and symmetry within organisms.

This mechanism could generate explosive (as in Cambrian explosion)
increases in anatomical complexity, which would be followed by the
rapid loss of unneeded parts, an easily understandable process.

Cliff Lundberg ~ San Francisco ~ cliff@noe.com