Re: I'm back!

Stephen Jones (sejones@ibm.net)
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 05:52:43 +0800

Group

On Wed, 09 Jun 1999 17:31:20 -0700, Brian D Harper wrote:

BH>Welome back Steve.

Thanks to Brian for his welcome.

BH>I'm wondering if you might clarify your position for me. I'm
>going to delete all except the protions I have a question
>about.

[...]

>SJ>Personally I would have no problem with even the most extreme form of
>>Darwinist `blind watchmaker' evolution, if it were proved true, since the
>>Bible teaches quite clearly that God is in total control of all events, even
>>those that appear random to man (cf. Proverbs 16:33; 1 Kings 22:34).
>>However, I have yet to see any compelling evidence that Darwinist `blind
>>watchmaker' evolution is true, at least in any major sense.
>>
>>Two quotes that best sum up my position are those of Phil Johnson:
>>
>>"I am a philosophical theist and a Christian. I believe that a God exists who
>>could create out of nothing if He wanted to do so, but who might have
>>chosen to work through a natural evolutionary process instead. I am not a
>>defender of creation-science..." (Johnson P.E., "Darwin on Trial," 1993,
>>p14)

[...]

>SJ>My position has superficially a number of elements in common with
>>naturalistic evolution, and some evolutionists (and creationists) may
>>assume that I am just a crypto-evolutionist. NOTHING COULD BE
>>FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH. I believe that Naturalistic Evolution is a
>>counterfeit of the genuine article, which is Mediate Creation. I also believe
>>that Theistic Evolution is a contradiction in terms-if it was theistic,
>>then it was *creation* not evolution, and vice versa.

BH>I wondered if you might clarify your statement:
>
>"I also believe that Theistic Evolution is a contradiction in terms-if
>it was theistic, then it was *creation* not evolution, and vice versa."
>
>in view of your earlier comments above.

I said a number of things in my comments above which seem clear to me.
Perhaps Brian can be more specific as to what exactly he wants me to
clarify and why?

"It is as a religion of science that Darwinism chiefly held, and holds men's
minds. The derivation of life, of man, of man's deepest hopes and highest
achievements, from the external and indirect determination of small chance
errors, appears as the very keystone of the naturalistic universe. And the
defence of natural selection appears, therefore, as the defence of their
integrity, the independence, the dignity of science itself." (Grene M., "The
Faith of Darwinism," Encounter, Vol. 74, November 1959, p48)