Are humans irreducibly complex

Bertvan@aol.com
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 08:27:42 EDT

Subj: Re: Are humans irreducibly complex?
CC: bharper@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu (Brian D Harper)

Brian wrote:
>It is also funny in the sense that creationists often argue that
>evolution cannot work on account of mutations being random. Now
>that cases of directed mutation appear to have been documented
>we find that this is suddenly a problem. How so?

>The important point here is that undirected mutations is not
>itself a part of neo-Darwinism. Natural selection can work
>regardless of whether the mutations are random or directed.
>Further, as the results of this study show, whether mutations
>are directed or undirected is a question that can be addressed
>empirically, i.e. it is not just assumed _a priori_ as some
>creationists have claimed.

Hi Brian,

Directed mutations was not a part of Neo Darwinism as defined in the modern
synthesis. Someone needs to change the definition and notify the public. If
mutations are directed, and not random, the roll natural selection plays
would be unknown-- it might turn out to be a minor mechanism of micro
evolution, and not responsible for "designing" a single complex organ, body
part or system. Genetic drift might also be directed and not random--so far
as anyone knows. Many creationists, those not insisting upon a literal
translation of Genesis-- certainly many of those promoting a concept of
design-- would be content with directed mutations. In fact, that has been
the specific claim all along of one creationist, Lee Spetner, that while
harmful mutations might be random, the mutations leading to big changes in
organisms are environmentally directed. Until we know for certain if and how
mutations are "directed", it seems to me the claim that they are a part of a
design cannot be ruled out. I realize no one is in charge of definitions,
which makes this creationist/Darwinist debate so frustrating. Do you have a
reference I could quote the next time some Darwinist condescendingly explains
to me: "The mutations are random, but Natural Selection is not; Natural
Selection is the creative force of evolution."?????

Bertvan