Man evolved from apes? (was: : General Response)

Rich Daniel (rwdaniel@dnaco.net)
Thu, 27 May 1999 19:51:46 -0400 (EDT)

Paracelcus wrote:
[...]
> Some of you have taken me to task for saying that man evolved from apes.
> You claim that the real way to say it is that man and ape shared a common
> ancestor...

I have to agree with Paracelcus here. This tactic does nothing but derail
the conversation. The common ancestor of Homo and Pan obviously would
be classified in the same family as Pan and the other apes.

Personally I agree with those taxonomists who would put man and the apes
in the same family. In my opinion, man *is* an ape. And by the way,
this does not assume evolution. Creationists should be no more upset
at my opinion than at the statement that man is a primate or a mammal.

Rich Daniel rwdaniel@dnaco.net http://www.dnaco.net/~rwdaniel/