Re: humans irreducibly complex?

David J. Tyler (D.Tyler@mmu.ac.uk)
Thu, 27 May 1999 13:37:10 GMT

Rich Daniel wrote on Tue, 25 May 1999

> David Tyler wrote:
> > But is the gap to be found in the type of tasks genes do? If the
> > answer is "no", then why should creationists expect to see a gap
> > here?
>
> What did you mean by this? If there is a vast gulf between humans and
> chimps, where else could it be but in the genes?

WHERE ELSE COULD IT BE BUT IN THE GENES?
This, Rich, is a major issue with some biologists. The basic
assumption of many geneticists is that the genes control everything -
but this IS an assumption. It has never been proved.

I will draw your attention to "The doctrine of DNA" by Richard
Lewontin. He is a marxist and an atheist - and so it should be clear
that he has no religious axe to grind on this particular issue. I
quote below from at review article at:
http://www.pages.org/bcs/Bcs091.html

------------------------------------
After reviewing several examples of how scientists have reflected and
reinforced the dominant views of society (including the case of Darwin
and the Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection), Lewontin puts his
finger on the orthodoxy that he wishes to expose as ideology:
"For biology, this world view has resulted in a particular
picture of organisms and their total life activity. Living beings
are seen as being determined by internal factors, the genes ...
We will understand what we are when we know what our genes are
made of... In the words of Richard Dawkins, one of the leading
proponents of this biological view, we are "lumbering robots"
whose genes "created us body and mind"." (p.13)

Lewontin is by no means a lone voice. From time to time, reference
has been made on this list to others who hold similar views.

Best regards,
David J. Tyler.