RE: Where's the Evolution?

Susan Brassfield (susan-brassfield@ou.edu)
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 14:11:21 -0600

At 12:49 PM -0500 4/20/99, Cummins wrote:
>> [mailto:evolution-owner@udomo3.calvin.edu]On Behalf Of Susan Brassfield
>
>> According to Webster's 7th New Collegiate (happens to be the dictionary on
>> my desk):
>>
>> Theory: 1. the analysis of a set of facts in their relation to
>> one another;
>> 2. the general or abstract principles of a body of fact, a science, or an
>> art; 3. a plausible or scientifically acceptable general principle or body
>> of principles offered to explain phenomena.

Cummins answered:

>You'll note the solid implication that a theory is not a fact. A theory
>concerns facts, but it is by definition not a fact itself.

organisms have been observed to change (evolve) over time. That change is a
fact. It was a fact that had been observed before Darwin set foot on the
deck of the Beagle. The Theory of Evolution attempts to explain that fact.

>Indeed, your
>dictionary almost defines "theory" as an OPINION, even if plausible or
>generally accepted...

a theory is always subject to revision as more facts are accumulated.
That's why the dictionary threw in the phrase "plausible or scientifically
acceptable." (And that's why evolution isn't a religion as some
creationists claim. Religions may not be modified as new information is
gathered--you have informed us of that many times.)

>BTW, why are Evolutionists always so quick to squabble over meanings of
>words rather than address the real issues? All the fuss about definitions
>isn't clarifying anything, rather, it looks more like a dodge.

it was YOU who were fussing about the definition of evolution. We were
attempting to help you with your confusion. If you are going to talk about
exact things, exact language is very important. Don't you agree?

Susan

Life is short, but it's also very wide.

http://www.telepath.com/susanb/