Re: My last word

Mark D. Kluge (mkluge@wizard.net)
Sat, 17 Apr 1999 14:08:44 -0400

Biochmborg@aol.com wrote:

> Art Chadwick wrote: "Jon has a Ph.D. in Molecular Biology from Berkeley, and
> many years of research experience and publications."
>
> Perhaps you could provide us with some references. I did a literature search
> of Entrez MedLine using "Wells J" as author name and "Berkeley" as
> affiliation and found just two articles. Does he have a middle name? At
> what other institutions has done research? At the very least, what journals
> has he published in?

This past January on the CARM list, Helen Fryman posted the following (#2356), in
relevant part, from Jonathan Wells listing two references to articles listing
Wells as coauthor.

> I am officially a post-doctoral research biologist in the Department of Molecular & Cell Biology, U.C.
> Berkeley. I'm not in the directory because I don't have my own extension (and besides I'm currently
> working mostly at home, writing and doing library research).
>
> If they want references to verify my affiliation, try these (both articles were published while I was in my
> present position):
>
> Larabell, Rowning, Wells, Wu & Gerhart, "Confocal microscopy analysis of living Xenopus eggs and the
> mechanism of cortical rotation," DEVELOPMENT 122 (1996), 1281-1289.
>
> Rowning, Wells, Wu, Gerhart, Moon & Larabell, "Microtubule-mediated transport of organelles and
> localization of B-catenin to the future dorsal side of Xenopus eggs," PROCEEDINGS OF THE
> NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES USA 94 (1997), 1224-1229.

I have not verified either reference. However, I have corresponded with Professor
John Gerhart of the UC Berkeley Department of Molecular and Cell Biology
(apparently the Gerhart of both references listed above). He confirms that
Jonathan Wells did his Ph.D. research in Grhart's lab. Professor Gerhart also
indicated that Wells is now working with Professor Michael Strohman of that
depart in "basically what would be a post-doctoral position." Evidently, then,
the references cited by Wells, although published while Wells had his present
position, had their research performed (or at least Wells' contribution to it)
while Wells was working towards his Ph.D. in Gerhart's lab.

Mkluge