RE: Design of the eye

Steven H. Schimmrich (sschimmr@ursa.calvin.edu)
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 15:21:47 -0400

At 09:56 AM 4/12/99 -0600, Susan Brassfield wrote:

>At 9:37 PM -0700 4/8/99, Pim van Meurs wrote:
>>"To suppose that the eye with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting
>>the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light,
>>and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have
>>been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the
>>highest degree." (Darwin C., "The Origin of Species," 6th Edition, 1928,
>>reprint, p167).
>>
>>The usual out of context quotation by a creationist. Thanks Art.
>
>yes. Darwin, of course, goes on to spend most of a chapter explaining why
>things are not as they seem.
>
>In scientific circles quoting someone out of context in a way that is
>intended to deceive someone about the true intention of the writer is
>considered a lie. I'm pretty sure it's considered a lie in Christian
>circles as well.

No, it's not. Most Christians obviously don't consider anything at all
wrong with this since it's tolerated, financially rewarded (who supports
the YECs making these absurd claims - the Christian church), rarely if ever
criticized, and those Christians who do point out that all non-Christian
scientists consider this practice akin to lying and quite despicable are
pilloried and shunned for not showing Christian charity toward their brothers
and sisters in Christ (i.e. having the poor taste to point out the lies and
mistakes of fellow Christians). Most Christians act as if the ends (proving
their version of Scriptural interpretation true) justify the means (lying and
misrepresenting science and scientists). Sorry, but I feel exceedingly cynical
today (not a good attitude for a Christian college professor, I've been told but
too bad).

- Steve.

--   Steven H. Schimmrich, Assistant Professor of Geology   Department of Geology, Geography, and Environmental Studies   Calvin College, 3201 Burton Street SE, Grand Rapids, Michigan 49546   sschimmr@calvin.edu (office), schimmri@earthlink.net (home)   616-957-7053 (voice mail), 616-957-6501 (fax)    http://home.earthlink.net/~schimmrich/