RE: Design of the eye

Susan Brassfield (susan-brassfield@ou.edu)
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 09:56:16 -0600

At 9:37 PM -0700 4/8/99, Pim van Meurs wrote:
>"To suppose that the eye with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting
>the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light,
>and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have
>been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the
>highest degree." (Darwin C., "The Origin of Species," 6th Edition, 1928,
>reprint, p167).
>

>The usual out of context quotation by a creationist. Thanks Art.

yes. Darwin, of course, goes on to spend most of a chapter explaining why
things are not as they seem.

In scientific circles quoting someone out of context in a way that is
intended to deceive someone about the true intention of the writer is
considered a lie. I'm pretty sure it's considered a lie in Christian
circles as well.

Susan

Life is short, but it's also very wide.

http://www.telepath.com/susanb/