Message Not Delivered: evolution-digest V1 #1399

PostMaster (Mailer-Daemon@navyouth.org)
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 21:45:08 -0600

The message you sent could not be sent to the following recipient(s):
SMTP:bgmsm@navyouth.org

Original Message Follows:
=========================
evolution-digest Friday, April 9 1999 Volume 01 : Number 1399

Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 21:37:19 -0700
From: Pim van Meurs <entheta@eskimo.com>
Subject: RE: Design of the eye

"To suppose that the eye with all its inimitable contrivances for =
adjusting=20
the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of =
light,=20
and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have =

been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the =

highest degree." (Darwin C., "The Origin of Species," 6th Edition, 1928, =

reprint, p167).

The usual out of context quotation by a creationist. Thanks Art.

"It turns out that the physical constants have just the values required =
to=20
ensure that the Universe contains stars with planets capable of =
supporting=20
intelligent life...The simplest interpretation is that the Universe was=20
designed by a creator who intended that intelligent life should evolve. =
This=20
interpretation lies outside science." (Smith J.M. & Szathmary E., "On =
the=20
likelihood of habitable worlds," Nature, Vol. 384, 14 November 1996, =
p107)

And what about this one dear Art. Helen on the www.carm.org discussion =
group raised some doubts about the validity of this statement. Care to =
tell us the rest of the story ? I told her that she likely had seen the =
quote used by a creationist....