Re: Recent rhetoric

Bill Payne (bpayne15@juno.com)
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 20:29:02 -0600

On Mon, 5 Apr 1999 21:20:34 -0400 "Howard J. Van Till"
<110661.1365@compuserve.com> writes:

>Bill made the following interesting statement in his recent post:
>
>>I hold that you need (require) an outside force
>>to give a vector to otherwise random change.

>I would suggest that
>there are significant exceptions to this claim. Let me
>try a simple illustration. [snip perfume] You know this process
>as'diffusion' -- a case in which the random motion of individual
particles
>gives rise to a net transport of material (entailing a vector, if you
like)
>that changes the largescale distribution of particles. The perfume
>molecules move to regions not initially occupied by that "species" of
>molecule.

This would be an increase in entropy, right? The vector is _away_ from
the organization of perfume in a bottle.

>Is the
>Creation sufficiently gifted to move through genomic phase space in the
>manner envisioned by contemporary biological theory? Or, on the other
hand,
>have a few key capabilities been withheld so as to make that motion
impossible?

As long as the motion is toward increased entropy, and as long as chance
destroys what chance creates, I can only believe that the motion to form
a human brain from a cloud of hydrogen is impossible.

Bill
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]