Message Not Delivered: evolution-digest V1 #1367

PostMaster (Mailer-Daemon@navyouth.org)
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 13:34:54 -0700

The message you sent could not be sent to the following recipient(s):
SMTP:bgmsm@navyouth.org

Original Message Follows:
=========================
evolution-digest Monday, March 29 1999 Volume 01 : Number 1367

Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 13:08:18 -0600
From: "Glenn R. Morton" <grmorton@waymark.net>
Subject: News on fossil man

If this is a second time I apologize. It didn't appear on the archive
so I don't know if it went through

I have been offline for a month now and have this brief access. I won't
be able to respond to anyone since I will be offline again after this
tomorrow. And to the 50 people that left messages for me over the past
month, I am sorry that I haven't replied, but I just got them and won't
have time to reply before I lose touch with my provider here.

But there are two items which are of considerable importance in the
creation/evolution area which have come up over the past month and a
half since my last post in early February. I must confess disappointment
that no one posted anything about this on either of the lists! These
items have tremendous implications for where fossil man fits with the
Bible.

First, lots of Christians have taken the path of least resistance to the
anthropological issues and have identified Adam with the first member of
our species. I say path of least resistance because it is the position
which is least controversial. But as I have pointed out over the past 3
years this position totally ignores the very human activities which
earlier hominids performed. These include art, religion, the use of
tools to make other tools, murder, long range planning, the manufacture
of boats with which to cross the oceans etc.
Examples of this position include David Wilcox:

"Both cultural and physical evidence suggests an abrupt establishment of
the image about 100,000 years ago." ~ David L. Wilcox, "Adam, Where Are
You? Changing Paradigms in Paleoanthropology," Perspectives on Science
and Christian Faith , 48:2( June 1996), p. 94

Hugh Ross who mistakenly claims that this appearance occurred no earlier
than 60,000 years ago:

"Some differences, however, between the Bible and secular
anthropology
remain. The Bible not only would deny that the hominids were men, it
also would deny that Adam was physically descended from these hominids.
Even here, support from anthropology is emerging. New evidence
indicates that the hominid species may have gone extinct before, or as a
result of, the appearance of modern man. At the very least, 'abrupt
transitions between [hominid]species' is widely acknowledged." ~ Hugh
Ross, The Fingerprint of God, (Orange: Promise Publishing, 1991), p.
159-160.

And Stoner:

"More recently, some remains promoted as being 'fully modern humans'
have been found which date (using exotic methods) as early as about
100,000 years old. These fossils are presently classified as 'modern
men' although some of them are said to display some 'primitive
features.' The supplement (loose poster) to the February 1997 National
Geographic pictures one of these skulls. That skull is certainly
missing the brow ridges of the Neanderthals and of Archaic Homo, but the
eye and nose sockets look Neanderthal--not human.
"Are these fossils truly modern men, as has been claimed? Are
they
really some new creature which falls between Archaic Homo and modern
men? Or is something else entirely different going on? Although these
questions might keep both scientists and theologians up nights, they
really aren't that important to us right here; for the present purposes,
it is only important that man fits into his proper place in the
chronological order of God's creation." This much has been properly
established. The conventional date of 35-40,000 years for the age of
true men might be correct, but we must allow that it might be
substantially in error." ~ Don Stoner, A New Look at an Old Earth,"
(Eugene, Oregon: Harvest House Publishers, 1997), p. 168

All of these authors are resting spirituality upon what the man looks
like, i.e. spirituality only rests in the modern human form.

For the past 4 years I have been arguing that more ancient hominids were
spiritual in the same way modern humans are spiritual. I have based
that upon their behaviors inferred from the fossil record. For
references I would point to a evolution reflector note on Oct 11, 1995
entitled Another flood Problem in which I suggested that H. habilis was
human. In my critique of David Wilcox's article dated June 8, 1996 on
the ASA reflector, I argued for the humanity of Neanderthal. And on June
13, 1996 on the evolution reflector I said that humanity goes back at