Re: Evolution's Imperative (was Def'n of Science)

Susan B (susan-brassfield@ou.edu)
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 21:55:09 -0600 (CST)

>> >I believe they fully understood Darwinism and its implications. What did
>> >you have in mind here?
>>
>> as others have pointed out, Marx was not influenced by Darwin.
>
>I beg to differ. Quoting from Zircle's 'Evolution'(p85) and Barzun's
>'Darwin, Marx, Wagner'(p8), we have "Marx and Engels accepted evolution
>almost immediately after Darwin published 'The Origin..."...It is
>commonplace that Marx felt his own work to be the exact parallel of
>Darwin's. He even wished to dedicate a portion of 'Das Kapital' to...
>(Darwin - who declined the honour!)."

Marx was impressed with Darwin's work *after* his ideas were developed. A
lot of people (including Marx) were impressed with Darwin's work!

however that was one small side comment in a much longer post. I surprised
you had no comments or refutations about how using antibiotics without a
knowledge of Darwinian principles is dangerous or about Hitler's
misunderstanding of Darwinism.

>Henry Morris in 'The Long War Against God' states, "It is clear that
>Marx and Engels based their communistic philosophy squarely on the
>foundation of evolutionism.

and of course, they didn't (I have often found that the truth is a stranger
in Henry Morris's mouth) because they developed their ideas before Darwin
published. The fact that they admired Darwin later on, means nothing.

Susan

--------
Life is short, but it is also very wide.
http://www.telepath.com/susanb