Message Not Delivered: evolution-digest V1 #1362

PostMaster (Mailer-Daemon@navyouth.org)
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 22:40:10 -0700

The message you sent could not be sent to the following recipient(s):
SMTP:bgmsm@navyouth.org

Original Message Follows:
=========================
evolution-digest Friday, March 26 1999 Volume 01 : Number 1362

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 17:00:32 -0700
From: "Kevin O'Brien" <Cuchulaine@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Evolution's Imperative

>>I think if the 10-cubit measurement was an inside diameter and the
>>circumference was measured around the outside, and if the wall was ~ an
>>inch thick, then the value of pi would work out.
>
>The value of pi *does* work out, to one significant digit. It's no
>more wrong to say pi=3 than to say pi=3.14.

Tell that to anyone who needs to know the exact value of either the
circumference or the diameter of a circle. For a circle of 10 meters, a 30
meter circumference represents a standard error of 4.5% compared to the true
value of 31.4 meters. For most architectural and engineering projects, that
high an error is intolerable; the architect or engineer who made your claim
to justify his error would be fired for incompetence.

>Even the alt.atheism FAQs
>admit that this is *not* an example of a mistake in the Bible.

Please Lord grant me patience.

I **agree**. My point, as ever and always, was that using Vernon's
super-literal, face-value approach to Scripture in fact forces us to doubt
the veracity of God's word which states that a circle 10 cubits in diameter
must produce a circumference of 30 cubits and vice versa even though we know
this is wrong. They only way we can reconcile what the Bible says with what
we know to be true is if we use one or another of the justifications that
have been offered by members of this list.

But Vernon would call such justifications evil.

Kevin L. O'Brien