Re: Evolution's Imperative (was Def'n of Science)

Brian D Harper (bharper@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu)
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 10:04:31 -0800

At 02:40 PM 3/21/99 -0500, Rich wrote:
>Vernon wrote:
>> [Evolution] provides an essential basis for all atheistic philosophies. [as
>> far as I'm aware, no other theory claiming to be 'scientific' intrudes
>> thus into the area of 'belief'.]...
>
>Neurophysiology and other brain-related sciences vs. the existence of souls?

the scientific theory that has provided a "prop" for atheism
more than any other would be Newtonian mechanics which gave rise
to a world view sometimes referred to as the Newtonian world
view but more aptly as the Mechanistic world view.

Fortunately, Newton was not a Newtonian :).

Brian Harper
Associate Professor
Applied Mechanics
The Ohio State University