Re: where's the evolution?

Marcio Pie (pie@bu.edu)
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 17:04:20 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 19 Mar 1999, Cummins wrote:

> > Read any textbook by
> > Douglas Futuyma for the empirical evidence of this that you seek.
> >
> > No doubt you will maintain that only macroevolution is truely evolution in
> > the sense you mean it. There too Futuyma can provide the
> > empirical evidence you seek.
>
> As I assert Evolution (the indefinite increase of complexity in a system open
> only to energy -- such as ameba-to-man) is impossible, I'm confident that none
> of Futuyma's books contain empirical examples.

You are so confident that you don't even want to evaluate the available
evidence. Have you ever thought that you might be wrong? What amount of
evidence would be enough for you? A movie showing the evolution from an
amoeba to a human?

> I've offered this challenge for years; no one has ever met the
> challenge. If you Evolutionists can't even show that evolution is
> possible, why are we wasting all this time debating weak circumstantial
> evidence that it accounts for the complexity of modern life?

If you don't even bother considering the available evidence, I certainly
agree that this discussion is a waste of time. If evolution is wrong, as
you say, what is right? Your opinion?

Marcio R. Pie
Department of Biology
Boston University