Message Not Delivered: evolution-digest V1 #1331

PostMaster (Mailer-Daemon@navyouth.org)
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 21:14:04 -0700

The message you sent could not be sent to the following recipient(s):
SMTP:bgmsm@navyouth.org

Original Message Follows:
=========================
evolution-digest Tuesday, March 9 1999 Volume 01 : Number 1331

Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 16:53:15 GMT
From: "David J. Tyler" <D.Tyler@mmu.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Pattern of PE

On Fri, 5 Mar 1999, Wesley R. Elsberry wrote:

> Can Neal list any significant part of the pattern of PE that
> Darwin did not mention in his first edition of Origin of Species?

I just happen to be reading something relevant to this. The better
question is: "Is PE something Darwin antipated, or is it
revolutionary for Darwinism?"

"But, despite the rhetoric, the theory [PE] was revolutionary for two
reasons. First, it took the fossil record at face value for the
first time since Darwin, who had invoked gaps in the record to
explain away the absence of intermediate forms in evolutionary
lineages. Large gaps certainly exist but can commonly be overcome by
replicate sampling in different places. Second, morphological stasis
was unexpected, despite revisionism to the contrary."
Jackson, J.B.C. and Cheetham, A.H. 1999. Tempo and mode of
speciation in the sea. Trends in Ecology & Evolution, 14(2), 72-77.

For the record, this is a quote that I agree with.

Best wishes,
David J. Tyler.