Message Not Delivered: evolution-digest V1 #1320

PostMaster (Mailer-Daemon@navyouth.org)
Sun, 28 Feb 1999 21:38:58 -0700

The message you sent could not be sent to the following recipient(s):
SMTP:bgmsm@navyouth.org

Original Message Follows:
=========================
evolution-digest Monday, March 1 1999 Volume 01 : Number 1320

Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 11:07:24 -0600
From: "Jeffrey W. Zents" <jzents@earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: Flood Model, batholiths, and science

Karen,

I have been trying to follow your interesting discussion with Steve as time
permits. I was reviewing the exchanges and saw something here that I wanted
to get your response to. You mention certain "unknown" factors that would
affect the ocean boiling/not boiling while certain heat processes were going
on. Are these natural factors? Or are they divine intervention? Since you
defend a YEC view (please forgive me if I misunderstand your position) why
are you trying to find natural factors to explain dinosaur deposits (they
way they are sorted etc). Given the model that you hold why not chalk it up
to God and have done?

My concern is twofold. If you are able to give explanations of the sorting
and deposits within a YEC flood model would that not result in this: we now
have a fully understandable cataclysm. A natural one to boot. Is that what
YEC wants? If we have a flood that is completely understandable in terms of
natural processes, would not have simple done nothing more than a paradgm
shift in science. How would that assert the reality of God's judgement on a
sinful world? And if you allow divine intervention to get you over the
gaps, how do you control that so that the appeal to divine intervention is
principled ? In other words, how does one allow the divine into a theory of
history (natural or otherwise) and still be assured that appealing to divine
action is not used simply to overcome theory weaknesses? I understand that
many defenders of ID or YEC say that this problem has an answer, but I have
yet to find it. Can you point me to what you think is a good response to
the problem.