Re: Kevin later wrote:

Brian D Harper (bharper@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu)
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 07:23:17 -0800

At 10:55 PM 2/20/99 -0700, Kevin wrote:
>>Kevin wrote:

[...]

Burgy:==

>>What you wrote, "But there has never, to my knowledge, been a case when a
>>physical law was found to be false by new evidence," is still an absurdity.

Kevin:==

>And yet you still cannot or will not give even one example to prove me
>wrong, or explain what physical law Einstein or any other scientist proved
>wrong. Making bald assertions you either cannot or will not defend is the
>height -- or should I say depth -- of absurdity.

OK, how about Descartes' law of refraction? I doubt it was actually
called by this name, however, the law was firmly established and
almost universally accepted. The law goes like this:

Suppose light travels from medium 1 (where it has velocity v1)
into medium 2 (velocity v2). Let the angle of incidence be
theta_i and the angle of refraction theta_r. In concise
mathematical form, the law states:

v2/v1 = sin(theta_i)/sin(theta_r)

Brian Harper
Associate Professor