The Deep Hot Air <was: The Deep Hot Biosphere

Brian D Harper (bharper@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu)
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 13:47:58 -0800

At 01:12 PM 2/18/99 -0800, Art wrote:
>>From another listserve:
>
>Long before Stuart Kauffman proposed his
>idea of spontaneous organization, perhaps by some as yet undiscovered law
>of nature by which life would form spontaneously, Fred Hoyle & Chandra
>Wickramasinghe had already disposed of it. After estimating that the
>chances of a primitive cell forming from abiotic material is about 10^
>-40,000, they said the following.

This seems a classic example of a strawman. The search for a self-
organization theory for the origin of life is motivated (rather than
refuted) by probability calculations such as those by H&W. The
probability calculation is aimed at a specific model for the
origin of life, namely the spontaneous formation of biomolecules
by pure-chance associations of smaller molecules in a primordial
soup. Pure chance really has little to do with self-organization.

When I first read the above I was betting that Hoyle's calculation
was discussed by Kauffman and sure enough you can find reference to
it on p. 44 and 45 of <At Home in the Universe>:

"... The problem, I believe, is that Hoyle, Wickramasinghe, and
many others have failed to appreciate the power of self-organization.
It is not necessary that a specific set of 2,000 enzymes be assembled,
one by one, to carry out a specific set of reactions. ..." SK

As we see, the probability calculation of H&W has nothing to do
with Kauffman's theories.

Brian Harper
Associate Professor
Applied Mechanics