Message Not Delivered: evolution-digest V1 #1298

PostMaster (Mailer-Daemon@navyouth.org)
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 10:13:04 -0700

The message you sent could not be sent to the following recipient(s):
SMTP:bgmsm@navyouth.org

Original Message Follows:
=========================
evolution-digest Friday, February 12 1999 Volume 01 : Number 1298

Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 09:25:46 -0800
From: "Arthur V. Chadwick" <chadwicka@swau.edu>
Subject: Cambrian Explosion

I posted a couple of papers earlier tha I thought were worthy of comment.
Kevin's recent discussion on the naturalistic imperative of science brings
back to mind these statements on the origin of complex life forms. Since
the sources were in the earlier communications, I simply include a couple
fo crucial paragraphs for consideration

" If the results of his team's genetic study are correct,
Hedges says the scientific question must change from "How
did all these species evolve so suddenly early in the Cambrian
period?" to "Why don't we see any fossils of these species
long before the Cambrian period?" Among the suggested
answers are that changes in the Earth's atmosphere led to
the development of hard external skeletons in animals that
had only soft external skeletons before the Cambrian period.
"Hard body parts like external skeletons are most likely to
become fossils," Hedges explains. Species not likely to
fossilize, like earthworms, typically live and die without
leaving a trace of their existence--except in the genes of
their descendants. "

> "Some scientists have theorized that the ancestors of creatures that
>suddenly and mysteriously appeared in the Cambrian era may have been
>boneless creatures that could not be captured in the fossil record. But
>this explanation for a pattern of Darwinian evolution is weakened by the
>presence of soft-tissued fauna in the China fossils, and the persistent
>absence of those forms, or those of ancestors of them, in the earlier
>geological record also available at the Chengjiang site. Professor Chen
>insisted that the biological ãexplosionä exhibited at Chengjiang is not
>an illusory artifact of an incomplete fossil record, but an accurate
>preservation of the true history of life on earth. Accordingly,
>biologists should construct theories of lifeâs origin in light of this
>paleontological evidence, not in spite of it."

Where will naturalistic science go with this?

Art
http://geology.swau.edu