Re: Flood Model and ichnofossils

Ed Brayton (cynic@net-link.net)
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 23:14:09 -0500

Kevin O'Brien wrote:

> [snip]
>

> >>...and how do the tiny little reptiles survive this process?
> >
> >A lot of them probably died. But enough of them survived that during the
> >Coconino depostion they were able to leave millions of trackways.
> >

> Millions survived? Or are you saying a dozen (figuratively speaking; the
> exact number is immaterial as long as it was low) were so energetic (despite
> malnutrition and unimaginable stress) that they scampered all over the
> exposed sediments, virtually non-stop, until they finally drowned?

This is the key problem that the Coconino poses for flood geology. We are
supposed to imagine that the animals that left those trackways:

A. managed to survive the downpour of so much rain that the continents were
virtually wiped clean;
B. managed to avoid dying in the astounding turmoil of that much water flowing
to and fro;
C. managed not to be buried while several thousand feet of sediment was laid
down in the canyon (in alternating layers of sandstone, limestone, and shale -
another enormous problem to explain) at a rate measured in feet per hour; and
D. managed to breathe and find food while all of this is going on.

How did spiders of all things manage to live through that?And if the sediment
was being laid down so incredibly fast, why are there no body fossils trapped in
the sandstone? This is, of course, in addition to the clear evidence of
terrestrial deposition in the Coconino - the composition of the sand particles,
the sorting, the angle of the sand, etc. I don't see any way that someone can
make the argument that the Coconino was deposited underwater and treat the
evidence honestly.

Ed