Re: Flood Model [was Early Cambrian explosion]

Arthur V. Chadwick (chadwicka@swau.edu)
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 07:25:33 -0800

At 06:06 PM 2/9/99 -0700, Kevin wrote:
>There were volcanoes and deserts (a major source of dust), as well as soils,
>in the Cambrian as well. Could you please provide citations that describe
>these sterile halites? The references I have claim that halites universally
>contain impurities. Thanks.

Whether the halites were sterile with respect to bacteria or dust was not
the point I was making. The statement that they generally lack
palynomorphs is based upon my experience of processing hundreds of samples
of Paleozoic salt for pollen and spores. Except for occasional
unidentifiable "organic" debris, they were in our parlance "sterile"
palynologically.
Art
http://geology.swau.edu