Re: The land plant explosion

Steven H. Schimmrich (sschimmr@ursa.calvin.edu)
Mon, 08 Feb 1999 11:26:20 -0500

At 09:39 AM 2/8/99 -0500, Joel Duff wrote:

> I'm glad to see some action lately, it's been too quiet around here. As a
> plant biologists it always appears that plants get shortchanged in the
> discussions. Given the recent discussion of the Cambrian explosion, I
> thought I would offer up something from a paper I just finished reading.
>
> EARLY EVOLUTION OF LAND PLANTS: Phylogeny,
> Physiology, and Ecology of the Primary Terrestrial
> Radiation Annual Review Ecol. Syst. 1998, 29:263-292
> For full text see:
> http://biomedical.AnnualReviews.org/cgi/content/full/4/29/263
> [CUT]
> I thought this was a good example reference to uniformitarianism in a
> modern context. I have used this quote to point creation scientists to the
> fact that modern uniformitariansm is very different that that of the late
> 1800s and early 1900s.

Thanks for posting that. It just goes to show that are numerous examples of
explosive radiations in the fossil record -- something creationists need to
address (i.e. a single creative event is not suggested by the evidence).

- Steve.

--   Steven H. Schimmrich, Assistant Professor of Geology   Department of Geology, Geography, and Environmental Studies   Calvin College, 3201 Burton Street SE, Grand Rapids, Michigan 49546   sschimmr@calvin.edu (office), schimmri@earthlink.net (home)   616-957-7053 (voice mail), 616-957-6501 (fax)    http://home.earthlink.net/~schimmrich/