Message Not Delivered: evolution-digest V1 #1286

PostMaster (Mailer-Daemon@navyouth.org)
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 21:04:52 -0700

The message you sent could not be sent to the following recipient(s):
SMTP:bgmsm@navyouth.org

Original Message Follows:
=========================
evolution-digest Monday, February 8 1999 Volume 01 : Number 1286

Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 16:25:51 -0700
From: "Dr. M Murphy" <mmurphy@cintek.com>
Subject: Re: Consensus?? Human birth

- -----Original Message-----
From: Loren Haarsma <lhaarsma@retina.anatomy.upenn.edu>
To: evolution <evolution@calvin.edu>
Date: Sunday, February 07, 1999 3:03 PM

The development of
>speech may have been an important factor in increasing brain size *in
>general*, but the massive increases in temporal and frontal lobes in
>particular may be due not so much to specific selective pressures for
>the functions they perform, as it is due to developmental programs which
>control the relative sizes of *all* brain regions. A small re-write of
>your last sentence should avoid this potential confusion.

thanks for the imput.

>> In the global scheme of things, the integrity of pelvic floor over
>> time is after all not all that important. Nature couldn't care less if
>> your bottom fell out at age 50. The most important biological
>> functions ensuring the survival of our species (reproduction) have
>> long been completed at this age.
>

>You want to be careful making this claim. Healthy, active grandparents
>can have a profound influence on the survival and reproductive success
>of their grandchildren.

I totally agree. However this paragraph should be seen in the context of
the main message of the manuscript.
that is that "natural childbirth" has negative consequenses to the future
health and quality of life of women.
The main message is that the insidence of pelvic floor damage is terribly
high, with the negative consequences (usually) only visible after the
reproductive age. A related theme is that since the life expectancy has
increased so much and the fecundity rate has dropped to unprecedented
levels, coupled with the increasingly active lives of women, this negative
effect on quality of life of one or two vaginal births is more important
than ever before in history. I realize the wording is provocative (which
was my intention), so I will reconsider the exact wording.

------------------------------

>> In the global scheme of things, the integrity of pelvic floor over
>> time is after all not all that important. Nature couldn't care less =
if
>> your bottom fell out at age 50. The most important biological
>> functions ensuring the survival of our species (reproduction) have
>> long been completed at this age.
>

>You want to be careful making this claim. Healthy, active grandparents
>can have a profound influence on the survival and reproductive success
>of their grandchildren.

I rewrote the paragraph. I agree that it needed work. what do you =
think?

In the natural scheme of things, the integrity of pelvic floor over time =
is
after all not all that important. By the time pelvic floor disorders =
become
significant problems the most important biological functions ensuring =
the
survival of our species (reproduction) have been completed. Further, =
since
these disorders usually lead to a personal loss of quality of life =
rather
than decreased life expectancy, they had no discernable influence on
evolutionary development or course. During most of human existence =
people
furthermore rarely made it to an age where it became a problem. =
Fortunately
this has changed in a big way. It becomes imperative to us to look with =
new
eyes at this problem and to develop new strategies to protect those =
parts of
our bodies less likely to stand the test of time and aging.

Magnus

- ------=_NextPart_000_009C_01BE52BC.D931C740