Re: Early Cambrian & Phanerozoic

Karen G. Jensen (kjensen@calweb.com)
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 21:48:04 -0600

>"Karen G. Jensen" wrote:
>
>> There is no need for multiple steps of creation.

[clip]
>> There is a time-gap between creation and fossilization, but not between
>> Precambrian and Cambrian (and most Phanerozoic) fossilization.
>>
>> The "Cambrian Explosion", instead of being explosive diversification, is
>> explosive sedimentation.
>>

>This may work for phanerozoic bacteria, proterozoic metazoans and the early
>Cambrian fauna, but how does it work for the entire order of successional
>appearance?

It works (and is required) if there is rapid sedimentation all through the
geological record. The successive appearances record the succession of
burial, not of origin.

Is it your position that all of the forms of vertebrates, from fish to
>mammals, were also created at the same time

Yes. Genesis 1 (and all through Scripture) indicates all kinds --
including man -- created "in the beginning". (Note Jesus' use of this
phrase, including mankind, in Matthew 19:4 and Mark 10:6).

and just didn't manage to leave behind
>a trace

I would not expect much fossilization until there was much rapid sedimentation.

> until hundreds of mlllions of years later?

The concept of hundreds of millions of years is another matter! It's
based upon the premise that much sedimentation indicates much time, and
upon isotope ratios interpreted with that firmly in mind. Other
interpretations of the isotope ratios, invoked when the dates don't fit the
accepted timescale, may also apply when they do.

If sedimentation was very rapid, the geological record does not represent
much time.

How can this be explained from
>your perspective without multiple creation events?

A worldwide water catastrophe such as that described in Genesis 7-8 would
be expected to cause massive seafloor sedimentation (Paleozoic layers), and
erosion and deposition of continental areas (Mesozoic sediments), then
tremendous erosion and redeposition as the new ocean floor widened and
deepened (Paleogene deposits). The resprouting flora and surviving aquatic
fauna, plus the preserved land fauna, would be expected to undergo rapid
speciation in the resulting open niches with their small population sizes,
low competition, low predation, and isolation, as the environment adjusted
to the new hydrologic cycle, with continuing earthquakes and volcanic
activity causing continuing sedimentation (Neogene deposits). This means
speciation (variation within the surviving kinds), but no multiple
creations (new kinds).

With rapid sedimentation, There's no need for multiple creation events.

Karen