Human birth

Dr. M Murphy (mmurphy@cintek.com)
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 17:11:06 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_009C_01BE52BC.D931C740

----Original Message-----
From: Loren Haarsma <lhaarsma@retina.anatomy.upenn.edu>
To: evolution <evolution@calvin.edu>
Date: Sunday, February 07, 1999 3:03 PM
Subject: Re: Consensus?? Human birth

>> In the global scheme of things, the integrity of pelvic floor over
>> time is after all not all that important. Nature couldn't care less =
if
>> your bottom fell out at age 50. The most important biological
>> functions ensuring the survival of our species (reproduction) have
>> long been completed at this age.
>

>You want to be careful making this claim. Healthy, active grandparents
>can have a profound influence on the survival and reproductive success
>of their grandchildren.

I rewrote the paragraph. I agree that it needed work. what do you =
think?

In the natural scheme of things, the integrity of pelvic floor over time =
is
after all not all that important. By the time pelvic floor disorders =
become
significant problems the most important biological functions ensuring =
the
survival of our species (reproduction) have been completed. Further, =
since
these disorders usually lead to a personal loss of quality of life =
rather
than decreased life expectancy, they had no discernable influence on
evolutionary development or course. During most of human existence =
people
furthermore rarely made it to an age where it became a problem. =
Fortunately
this has changed in a big way. It becomes imperative to us to look with =
new
eyes at this problem and to develop new strategies to protect those =
parts of
our bodies less likely to stand the test of time and aging.

Magnus

------=_NextPart_000_009C_01BE52BC.D931C740