RE: Sovereignty and its consequences

Pim van Meurs (entheta@eskimo.com)
Sat, 19 Dec 1998 11:31:57 -0800

----------
From: Loren Haarsma[SMTP:lhaarsma@retina.anatomy.upenn.edu]
Sent: Saturday, December 19, 1998 4:21 AM
To: evolution
Subject: Re: Sovereignty and its consequences

Howard Van Till asked:
> 1. Does the "sovereignty" of God necessarily entail the idea that God
> "controls all things" (events, processes, etc.)? How does one move from
> "sovereignty" to the concept of "control"?

God can control the outcome of stochastic events. This control is one
of the means God has of interacting with his creation.

Can God control the Heisenberg uncertainty ? My belief is that God used this quantum uncertainty to allow His Creation to have free will. If that is the case, God must have been a quantum effect as well. If God wern't a quantum effect, His Creation reduced his ability to interfere with it and therefor his powers are not all encompassing. If His powers are not all encompassing, how could he be a God ?
Only if He is what makes free will possible can He be maintained as all powerful.

Does God control the outcome of *every* stochastic event, or is it God's will to withhold
that control some of the time? If God sometimes withholds control, He
is still sovereign. Stochastic events cannot take a pathway outside of
God's will. But could it be that God's will, sometimes, is to give
those events a kind of freedom within limits? I think it might be.

Even granting "freedom" still does not mean that there is freedom. It's controlled freedom.