Re: Test your knowledge of evolutionary theory

Arthur V. Chadwick (chadwicka@swau.edu)
Sun, 13 Dec 1998 13:48:37 -0800

At 06:11 AM 12/11/98 PST, Greg wrote:

>The example of the Peppered moth is a great illustration of the self
>correcting mechanism which is one of the great strengths of the
>scientific method. To propose that this correction invalidates
>evolutionary theory as a whole is ludicrous. The evidence in favor of
>evolution is overwhelming. Only the mechanics of evolution are subject
>to debate.

That is amazing. Everything is worked out except for the mechanism! I
thought that was what science was supposed to be about...not constructing
elaborate theories but discovering mechanisms. In the case of evolution,
the theory has become all-encompassing without the mechanism. Now lets get
to work and find out what the mechanism is. Maybe the reason why we don't
know what the mechanism is is because the theory is not right???

I am constantly amazed at the pathetic attempts of
>creationists to discredit the theory. Science is constantly correcting
>and adjusting as new evidence comes to light. Creationists should apply
>these same principles to their own "theories"(Delusions).

Well, I think the self correction on the part of creationists does indeed
move slowly, but to their credit they have largely gotten rid of most of
the blatant garbage of the past. Why has it been so difficult for
evolutionists to do the same. This pitiful peppered moth example is an
illustration that the self correction only occurs when it is forced by
powerful outsiders, and incidentally, there has been no change yet. If it
does come, it will be kicking and screaming still. It will be a generation
or longer before the peppered moth story is out of the textbooks. Witness
the textbooks that still feature Haekel's original drawings, generations
later.

Art
http://biology.swau.edu