RE: philosophy

John E. Rylander (rylander@prolexia.com)
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 10:25:25 -0600

That really depends on what else one studies in addition to philosophy, and
also on whether or not one is planning to be professor.

Philosophy provides a foundation difficult to get otherwise, as the
sloppiness of often exceptionally bright but untrained
"philosopher-wannabees" often shows.

On the other hand, unless one is planning to go into teaching or (yuk) law,
or possibly certain aspects of AI work, then philosophy is not a good
substitute for vo-tech education.

Philosophy makes one a much better intellectual athlete, but it doesn't
train one in a particular sport, which training is typically crucial to
succeed in the sport. But one can usually pick up that training later --
it's mostly a matter of being focussed and very intentional in ones choices,
rather than just drifting along with the grad school flow indefinitely.