philosophy

Cliff Lundberg (cliff@noevalley.com)
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 15:42:08 -0800

Mike Hardie wrote:

> As a philosophy major (or, rather, a hope-to-be philosophy major -- I won't
> formally apply to the department until next year), I was interested by your
> comments about philosophy.

Mike, I agree with everything you say about philosophy but I question
the practicality of a philosophy major. It might make a good minor
field,
one that would be enriching and would help with other fields. But
consider
that being a philosopher and being a philosophy teacher are different
things. Jobs are few and go to people from the more prestigious schools,
or to Europeans with capabilities in classical and modern languages that
you are unlikely to have. I think a scientist with a flair for
philosophy
will be a better researcher and writer. But a philosopher with a flair
for
science won't get much respect, as he won't have earned his stripes as a
scientist.

-- Cliff Lundberg ~ San Francisco ~ cliff@noevalley.com